Okay, so we’ve all had it once that we scanned something in and wanted to make it transparent. LIke, removing the white from a lineart on white paper. For this you can set the layer on multiply or even use masking techniques.
In my case, I’m doing a water-coloured webcomic, and I wanted to remove the white, without damaging the colours. So that I could overlap the picture onto another and the colours would blend.
I was before messing around with masking techniques, but I had problem with keeping the colours right. I’ve now found a technique that’s a bit more easy, and which allows me to draw this:
What you need:
*A picture(scanned in or otherwise)
*A computer with the gimp installed.
My version of the gimp is Dutch, so I’ll be putting the english name of the steps in bold.
I was in the city park of Breda today, and I decided to have an attempt at painting the park.
It came out nice, though blurry(couldn’t work too long as the shadows kept shifting) and I sort of have the feeling that the colours aren’t quite right, but that’s to be expected.
I’ve been practicing brush inking, and I have the feeling I’m getting somewhere. I got some nice winsor and newton brushes and I’m still happily experimenting with them. I also made a test page for Streets of Ganjet, to see if brush inked characters on a penned background, coloured in, would look good.
Unforetunatly the page ended up a bit skewed and I think I’ll have to become good friends with my mirror once I start doing future pages.
I disliked how normal comic formats are one page a load, so this one loads up all tiny pages and then you can flick through them. The comic itself is Axel/Saïx slash, hence why I also made a seperate tag to prevent it from showing up on my rss-feed.(I don’t want anyone who isn’t looking for it to see this)
Basically this was the final product of my VD3 assignment. We had to make a marketing pakage for a game or movie(that we came up with) and the project had to be done in illustrator.
I’m pretty proud of it myself. My teacher liked that the logo was original though I thinks I should’ve been more careful with the spacing. I also lost some points on presentation(because I didn’t print graphics onto my CD) but in the end I received an 8/10.
When we showed our story for the season changing puzzle game to our concept development lecturer, she suggested that we should make mother nature more native amarican, because the story is set in the west.
Again, this was done in inkscape. Generally, everyone seems to agree this Mother Nature looks better.