After finally having dealt with school, I wanted to spend some time on getting the other comics exporters up to snuff, after getting the ACBF exporter so far as I did.
This was partially motivated by me finding some extra information on ComicBookInfo and ComicInfo.xml, as well as discovering that both main catalogueing software that used either(ComicBookLovers and ComicBookRack respectively) are dead. Callibre, as to be expected, acknowledges neither these or CoMet or ACBF as metadata files, though there is a plugin that supports the ComicBookInfo json and the ComicInfo.xml files (Ideally someone would add CoMet and ACBF to that, but I am not really interested in installing the monster that is Callibre on my device right now).
I just went and modified the exporters for these two files so they’d be a bit more correct and left it at that. But, that leaves one more exporter…
Those who know me, or at the least know my history with Krita is that one of the prime things I personally want to use Krita for is making comics. So back in the day one of the things I did was make a big forum post discussing the different parts of making a comic and how different software solves it.
One of the things about making a comic is that is a project. Meaning, it is big and unwieldy, with multiple files and multiple disciplines. You need to be able to write, to draw, to ink, to color. And you need to be able to do this consistently.
The big thing I was missing in Krita was the ability to quickly get to my selection of pages. In real life, I can lay down pages next to one another, and always have them in my minds eye. In Krita, getting the next or previous page is always a matter of digging through folders and finding the correct page number.
Adding to this, I am also a bit of a perfectionist, so I have been training myself to start drawing scenes or writing as soon as I have an idea, because any idea is way more useful when you’ve got it down on page. You can append it to an existing story, or just work it in and reuse the drawings and compositions. And this was also a bit difficult to do, because how does one organise and tag those ideas?
So hence I spend the last few weeks on writing a comics manager for Krita.
Didn’t get anywhere with my GSoC code today, so decided to start do some painting and doing the drawing challenge. Had some fun 🙂
Made the sketch in 8bit, and also did the flats in 8bit. Then went to 16bit int with linear space to do the mixing. Finally, overlaid the image with a slight pattern, set to overlay, and then converted to 8bit, to prevent banding artefacts. Ended up pretty well 🙂
So, while the 2016 Google Summer of Code hasn’t officially started yet, and Krita’s master is in feature freeze till the release at the end of the month, it’s a good moment to start preparing.
My area of specialisation within Krita is Colour Management, and my project is focusing on softproofing. This area is one that isn’t difficult in regards mastering intricate c++ methods, but rather an area that focuses on research. In other words, figuring out what is actually true.
It’s not quite certain why there is so much misinformation out there, a simple suggestion would be to say that perhaps a lot of colour management UI is just too byzantine to understand. But on the other hand, Western Society in general has had no single Colour Theory survive longer than a century until a new one showed up. So perhaps there’s just something about colour, and especially about how relative human vision is, that makes it difficult to capture in a single coherent theory, and most artists just develop a sense for color than a cohesive method.
My focus is on the softproofing, a sort of on-the-fly filter to emulate how an image will look when being printed(and more importantly, which details could get lost). I already researched this back in February, LCMS’s API will allow for it easily, and I now mostly need to sit down with Boudewijn to stare at Krita’s architecture to decide what is possible before deciding upon a UI and implementation.
However, in a discussion on IRC it was mentioned that it’d be nice if we could emulate not just cmyk profiles, but also things like colour blindess.
I actually made it 2.5 years ago, but I never formally open sourced it, more forgot about it, actually. When at the Krita sprint, Boudewijn remarked he really disliked the way how webcomics present themselves, I remembered it again and show it to him and Timothée Giet. Timothée, as a comics creator was interested in using it, and I finally took the step to open source it.
It has quite a few features, so check out the readme at github.