Entry for June’s Monthly Drawing challenge: Flow

Didn’t get anywhere with my GSoC code today, so decided to start do some painting and doing the drawing challenge. Had some fun :)

Made the sketch in 8bit, and also did the flats in 8bit. Then went to 16bit int with linear space to do the mixing. Finally, overlaid the image with a slight pattern, set to overlay, and then converted to 8bit, to prevent banding artefacts. Ended up pretty well :)

 

flow_contest_fairy_small

Comic style tests

This is a test of comic styles in Krita.

The middle one being a watercoloury style(probably needs better colour picking to be really useful)

The last being traditional ink-then-colour, softshading style, and the first being a variation where I painted the subject first, and then added the lines. Painting is a little more comfortable for me regarding details like hair and folds(which are nice to sculpt this way), so it’s a little more natural to me to try this manner.

All of them have their own charm really.

A Princess and his Knight

This one was in wip-hell since last christmas. Today I basically finished it.

Made with mypaint.

I was briefly afraid that it would be a little too crazy, but then the fandom started assigning symbol-vegetables to characters, so I was being afraid of being crazy while sitting in the asylumn.

Anyhow.

ThumbsWip1Wip2

…Kind of really pleased with that mountain range there…

Some Streets of Ganjet test page and brush inking tests.

 

I’ve been practicing brush inking, and I have the feeling I’m getting somewhere. I got some nice winsor and newton brushes and I’m still happily experimenting with them. I also made a test page for Streets of Ganjet, to see if brush inked characters on a penned background, coloured in, would look good.

Unforetunatly the page ended up a bit skewed and I think I’ll have to become good friends with my mirror once I start doing future pages.