Didn’t get anywhere with my GSoC code today, so decided to start do some painting and doing the drawing challenge. Had some fun 🙂
Made the sketch in 8bit, and also did the flats in 8bit. Then went to 16bit int with linear space to do the mixing. Finally, overlaid the image with a slight pattern, set to overlay, and then converted to 8bit, to prevent banding artefacts. Ended up pretty well 🙂
I hadn’t painted properly in a while, so I decided to put down an image I had been having in my head, though I’m not sure if the eighties hair was really part of it, I’m not upset with it there either.
Drew this in 16bit srgb first before converting it to my monitor’s profile.
The middle one being a watercoloury style(probably needs better colour picking to be really useful)
The last being traditional ink-then-colour, softshading style, and the first being a variation where I painted the subject first, and then added the lines. Painting is a little more comfortable for me regarding details like hair and folds(which are nice to sculpt this way), so it’s a little more natural to me to try this manner.
I’ve been practicing brush inking, and I have the feeling I’m getting somewhere. I got some nice winsor and newton brushes and I’m still happily experimenting with them. I also made a test page for Streets of Ganjet, to see if brush inked characters on a penned background, coloured in, would look good.
Unforetunatly the page ended up a bit skewed and I think I’ll have to become good friends with my mirror once I start doing future pages.