The past few months I’ve been rewriting the text layout engine used by Krita’s text tool. This is not the same as the text tool itself, which is still a super small rich text editor, but it is a prerequisite to getting any kind of new features into the text shape. We haven’t done any real improvements to text since the work for the last fundraiser we had for it, and that is because this needed to be done, it is a lot of work, an we had vowed to take care of resource management first, which, uh, took us so long and was so intensive that it covered the whole development cycle from 4.0 to 5.0, or a span of 5~ years. I’m not the only developer who can finally tackle a sore point, there’s work being done on audio, lots of file format updates, work on assistants, technology upgrades and more… But this blog is about text.
So, I did two important things recently.
First, I posted my 101 sketches I made with Krita since I started working on it. I made a google+ album out of it, because I didn’t think this server could hanle 101 sketches easily. (Update: google+ died, so now they’re here.)
Secondly, I formally open sourced my little SVG comic reader with GPL 3.0 (which I think is sensible for a web-application.) You can find it on github here: https://github.com/therahedwig/SVG-comic-reader
I actually made it 2.5 years ago, but I never formally open sourced it, more forgot about it, actually. When at the Krita sprint, Boudewijn remarked he really disliked the way how webcomics present themselves, I remembered it again and show it to him and Timothée Giet. Timothée, as a comics creator was interested in using it, and I finally took the step to open source it.
It has quite a few features, so check out the readme at github.